Usually when you think about startups in tech, or even the tech sector in general, the places that come to mind are NYC, Silicon Valley and maybe even Boston. But when discussing Connecticut on the other hand, one may think of insurance companies like The Hartford, Ivy League school and UConn basketball. However, Connecticut is starting to make a name for itself in the tech startup world.
In 2016, there were several tech companies that made the Technology Fast 500 list. This is the ranking of the top 500 fastest growing tech businesses. Those are:
- #43 Achillion Pharmaceuticals – they are currently leveraging their work in treatment for Hepatitis C and looking to tackle many of the rare diseases out there.
- #239 Evariant Software – Evariant is building a world class patient management system for the medical industry
- #357 HP One – provides outsourced managed healthcare plan systems for large carriers.
- #385 Clarity Software Solutions – solutions for healthcare organizations
- #469 Core Informatics – state of the art laboratory management systems
- #473 Alexion Pharmaceuticals – rare disease solutions
The city of New Haven is currently the hot spot of the Connecticut tech startup scene. The city has been growing yearly in the tech sector, adding the rich heritage of innovation and invention. Did you know that Eli Whitney invented the cotton gin there? In 2018, New Haven will open a
100,000 square foot tech innovation campus called District New Haven. They plan to have multiple office spaces and coworking spaces that will assist startups to grow and thrive. Only NYC and Boston will have larger tech startups districts like New Haven.